Monday, October 20, 2008

MInnesota's Sixth Congressional District

This past week I have been brushing up on my more local politics, especially the 6th Congressional district race between Rep. Michele Bachmann and Elwin Tinklenberg. After reading a series of articles in the Star Tribune, I must admit I have an almost extreme bias against Rep. Bachmann. The first article, about their debate, was merely the foundation. One of the things I dislike about Bachmann is her strategy to make any somewhat controversial remarks made by an opponent into a insult to one group or another. This could be seen when she called James Carville’s questions about Palin’s experience “offensive to American women.” It could also be seen in this debate when she used a car accident caused by an illegal immigrant to support her border patrol agenda. Tinkleberg replied, "I think it's just a little untoward to exploit a tragic situation to advance a narrow ideological agenda,” to which she said he was being “highly offensive.” I don’t know, but I thought Bachmann’s remarks were the offensive one’s and Tinkleberg was just being reasonable. Bachmann made several more divisive comments during th debate that seem to be typical of her.

The next article both shocked me and made me somewhat embarrassed that Bachmann is a Minnesotan. Apparently, while on Hardball with Chris Matthews, Bachmann said that she believes Obama has “anti-American views,” he had a “very strong association with Bill Ayers,” and while she was at it she called for an “exposé” of liberals in Congress, to see if they hold these same “anti-American” views. Sounds like someone’s calling for a rebirth McCarthyism. This is really just a continuation of the theme of the last article. Bachmann seems to be constantly negative, poorly informed, and almost childish in her attacks. After watching the video, I find myself a staunch supporter of the Tinklenberg campaign.

The third article really made me smile. It always makes me happy when Republicans feel the aftermath of their unintelligent remarks. It seems after Bachmann interview on Hardball, there was an incredible influx of support for the Tinklenberg campaign. Something like $450,000 in 24 hours. The notion that this embarrassment to Minnesotans may not be reelected makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

No comments: